Friday, September 30, 2011

Top 3 Sentences of Week 6

No favorite sentences from books, but I have some lyrics that stood out to me this past week (all from Eminem):

"Your hate is what gave me this strength...cause I came at 5'9" but I feel like I'm 6'8"!" - Eminem in "Lighters"
      - I admire this sentence for its confidence that Eminem radiates when he is rapping.  This confidence is how I would love to feel; the confidence to say anything you think is right, the confidence that people will listen to what you say, and the confidence that you don't regret what you say or do.

"Had a dream, I was king, I woke up, Still king" - Eminem in "Lighters"
     - This is another line by Eminem that shows his confidence in himself and what he is doing.  He's the best rapper right now and he knows it while showing he knows it in a cocky, perfectly described way that flows well with the soothing beat and attitude of the song.  He is also saying that his dreams are his life.  He is a internationally known artist and is living the "American Dream."

"I swear to God I [anger] a Happy Meal off" - Eminem in Nicki Minaj's "Roman's Revenge"
     - The reason I like this line is because Eminem has a talent and a feel for creative rhymes.  Sometimes they aren't appropriate but if you think about it, you can see that what he says makes sense and in a creative fashion.  In this line he saying to his "haters" (people who don't like him) that he can make them mad, but he is still going to continue what he loves to do (make songs) and in the way he wants to do it.  Many of Eminem's rhymes including the line above are forms of satire that make you laugh, but at the same time criticizes the subject he portrays.  Eminem's confidence allows him to describe what he is thinking in the most satirical way possible; ways that the average person wouldn't even begin to think of.  And it comes so natural for him like a God given gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment